I figure I can cross-post content that I like, though. Here’s my answer on Quora to “What is serendipity?”
Serendipity is when
- your alphabet soup spells out “Eat me.”
- there’s a rock in your shoe, and it completes your collection.
- you take a summer job herding sheep and wind up falling in love (consequences notwithstanding).
- you buy an old used book, and the margin contains a proof of Fermat’s last theorem.
- you take your dog to the park and there’s an Ultimate tournament going on.
- you’re on a camping trip and it starts raining. A moment before, you had been thinking your oatmeal was too dry.
- you decide to try to hold out a couple extra days before doing laundry, and then a dread virus triggers the zombie apocalypse.
- you get in an accident with a truck carrying avocados, and you just bought a huge bag of tortilla chips
- right before you get up for a bathroom break, the FedEx guy arrives. Your cheating ex sent you more flowers.
- you write a tongue-in-cheek Quora answer just as a lark, and hundreds of people upvote it, and then some guy gives you a boat.